Hazelwood Missouri History
St. Louis County still has valuable sites and buildings that can paint a picture of the region's pioneering times. In this article I would like to introduce some of these landmarks that tell the story of our city, its people and its history as a pioneering city.
Built by a Chicago company for a wealthy local brewer, the building was designed with Roman columns, including an ornate pedestal and crown, and won the first prize of its kind in the United States. The story caught the attention of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "Filling the Future with Roseate Promise," and was reprinted in a number of other newspapers and magazines in the U.S. and around the world.
In 2006, St. Louis erected a massive bronze statue to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the founding of St. Louis, Missouri, on the site. In 1809, the brothers were replaced by Alexander Stuart, a friend of Lewis and Clark, who built the first American fort in the United States, Fort Jefferson, in 1824. It was built by his friend Lewis & Clark west of the Mississippi. His services gave him access to land grants in Kentucky, which he used to acquire the first land holdings in St. Louis.
The following year Wetterau bought the J. Zinmeister Company of Kentucky, which supplied the first water supply for St. Louis and the rest of Missouri.
Five years later, in 1959, Wetterau finally grew out of his St. Louis estate and moved to the suburb of Hazelwood, where his main office is still located. It is located on the busy Lindbergh Boulevard and south of the city's main thoroughfares, the Missouri River and the Mississippi River. Twelve Fortune 500 companies call Hazelwood home, making it the second-largest city in the United States with a population of more than 2.5 million. In addition to being located just a few miles north of downtown Missouri City, it is also home to many of Missouri's largest businesses.
In 1953, the first acquisition was made by buying the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Company, a newspaper publisher in downtown St. Louis.
Built on a stretch of the Missouri River flood plain, the mall is anchored by leading high-end outlet stores such as Macy's, Nordstrom, Macy's and Sears. McDonnell Douglas Corp., which was bought by Boeing, served as a jewelry manufacturing company in north St. Louis County, where Hazelwood is located. George Wetterau quickly began to explore new technologies in the 1890s, when he began a tradition that would become one of the hallmarks of his company. He was the first company in St. Louis to be part of the telephone system, and an early pioneer in telephony.
Bommaritos Ford Superstore is home to the number one automotive group in Missouri, which has served customers in St. Louis for over 45 years. Bommarsito's, or Ford Superstore, is the only one of its kind in the state of Missouri.
The modern history of Wetterau began in 1961 when the company went public and changed its name to Wetterau Foods, which was founded on March 1, 1961 in St. Louis, Missouri. During this decade, the Weather Service also expanded its operations from Desloge in 1925 to Mexico in 1928 and to other parts of Missouri in 1929 and 1931.
To allay these concerns, the US government held a conference with several local Indian tribes in 1851 and established the Treaty of Fort Laramie. The city of St. Louis tried to annex the community, but the local farmers banded together to resist in 1944 and eventually won.
Hazelwood did not hire its first black teacher until the 1969-70 school year, and during the period in question, Missouri did not require that a teacher's degree be offered or that a significant number of black students be enrolled. In September 2005, the St. Louis County Department of Education and the Missouri Department of Higher Education issued a public statement on the Hazelwood School District's request for a charter school on September 2, 2005. Public participation was considered by the School Board, the Board of Trustees of the district, the city and the School Board of the district.
The St. Louis City School district employed one of the first black teachers to apply to Hazelwood in the 1970-71 school year, John Trotter, a teacher at Normandy High School in Normandy, Missouri. That year, he was suspended from a job with the St. Louis County district, and now he's in the Normandy school district.
When I first came to the Hazelwood District, most of the teachers came from the St. Louis City School District and the Missouri State University system. He explained that there was a huge teacher shortage at the time and that there was a strong recruitment from Southeastern University of Missouri because the Hazelwoods staff had many contacts in the college.